Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Proveth and Zydeco

Proveth and Zydeco                                                                                          May 22, 2010
I was rummaging around in my Webster's II Dictionary looking for the word Proveth with little success.
This compact tome is very handy and I use it often, more often in fact than when they issued it to me when I attended college kind of way back when.
But this time it failed me.  There was no Proveth in it yet spell check didn't red-line it so where it the heck was its identity.
There was prove and I checked down through to proverb to where it ended at provide and continued on through to mischief and rascal but no, I say no proveth
Perplexed I turned the little book over to look at its backside when I read this 'Brand-new entries- from acupressure to zydeco".
Zydeco, ah-ha how often am I asked “what is Zydeco”. Well, it’s plenty of times I thank you. It’s my favorite dance.
Webster’s II Little Dictionary does say that it is a noun and popular music of south Louisiana featuring guitar, accordion and washboard.
Well that didn’t say much so I looked up the word “washboard”.
That was defined as an instatement for washing clothes. 
Well rats, I suppose it doesn’t know that jugs are for drinking and not a noun for a musical instrument or for those beautiful adornments of an equally beautiful adult woman (all women are beautiful)
I gathered from this kind of weak definition that spoons are for eating and not as instruments for music or for the digging of graves for rats.  Those rats that I had trapped in my no.1 traps as a kid.
Baited with jam from the kitchen those traps were sure death for those killers of my pet pigeons.   My evil step-mother did ban me from used her good flatware for anything but eating.

Well, goodness where was I?  Oh, yes Proveth, a word that isn’t a word outside of my own little world. It wasn’t redlined because I was in another program that does have that ability and it wasn’t in my little Webster because the word wasn’t in its vocabulary.
Maybe someday I’ll write a dissertation about it in the future.

Zydeco of course is a lot more than what you found here but I am out of space and the dance and its people deserve a lot more than just a line or two.  Or you can go see for yourself. 
There is a dance every Sunday at the Brickhouse 15th & Main in Vancouver at seven. There generally is a lesson before hand if enough people are interested and the dance continues until 9:00 no charge
A bigger affair is very Wednesday at PPAA (with a big pink neon sign) 7TH &Alder in Portland Ore. With a lesson beginning at 7:15, dance at 8:00-10 $5 for non-members $ 3 for members
Music by cds or on occasion a live band of which there will be several between the end of June and over the Forth.  Check out http://www.cascadezydeco.com/ and be sure to get your butt down to the Portland Waterfront Blues Festival over the forth for a very, very good time.

Until then I wish you well my friends,
Ben
Of course Google will give you the answer to proveth.

No comments:

Post a Comment